15 July 2008

Proud Mama

I'm thrilled! I know not everyone wants a thumbsucking baby, but I was so excited and proud of Jake when he found his own thumb for the first time and started to put himself to sleep. I just keep thinking that maybe it is better that he sucks his thumb, or fingers, so he can comfort himself in the middle of the night and won't require me to get out of my bed to give him the binkie. But I know both of them have ups and downs.

I was a thumbsucker myself. In fact, my parents didn't break me of the habit until I was over 4 years old. Maybe that's why I never went to preschool... hmmm... Anyway, Jake hasn't repeated this little trick since, so we are utilizing the binkie these days. Whether you're pro thumbsucking or not, it's still pretty cute to see a two-month-old pull this one off on his own.



Sooo, the thumbsucking only lasted so long and I eventually had to put him to sleep in another position. For some reason, he loves laying like this. It reminds me of when dogs plop their big jowels on the ground and smash their face against the floor. It squishes all the chubbiness on his face:).


And, the biggest accomplishment yet... the smile. Only Todd (and a strangers) could get him to smile for the first little while. We had to snap a shot of this so I could look at it when Todd went to work. Luckily, Jake now smiles at both of us. Phew.

7 comments:

Dorese @ Dorese's Pieces said...

Coleen, he's SO CUTE! I love the picture of him on his belly with his face all pooched out... Thanks for sharing! :)

Aves said...

Colleen! What a little cutie you have! Him sucking his thumb is precious!

Ambyr said...

So cute! I totally wanted Luke to be a thumb-sucker since I was one. He even sucked it once but like Jake, never again. Now he's hooked on the binky. Great post.

Super Angie said...

Yeah for thumb suckers!!!! I was a proud thumb sucker until I was....uh...I don't remember, but I'm sure it was an embarassingly old age. :)

Larsen's said...

What a great smile! I know what you will be doing all day now...trying to get as many smiles as you can!

Coleen and Todd Staples said...

You're totally right! All I do is talk to Jake and make sounds trying to get him to give me a big toothless grin. it's the best.

Ali said...

Cute pictures! It made me laugh you were so proud. Any time Jake found his thumb I would pull it out and pop in the binky! :) I think I was a bit obsessed about no thumb sucking. Alisa wouldn't have either-thumb or binky.


Anyway, cutie! Keep the pictures coming. Love 'em.