25 July 2008

Dutch Oven Lovin'

Doesn't everything taste better when it is cooked over coals? So, I've never used a dutch oven before, but we just happened to have one from our stash of wedding gifts (I know... five years later and we are just pulling it out) and it came pre-seasoned. THANK YOU to whoever bought that for us.



Anyway, the Defries really know how to dutch oven, and well, so did everyone else. We had a pretty delicious spread -- BBQ Chicken, bacon & cheese potatoes, chocolate raspberry cobbler and Todd and I made homemade bread. My step-mom can work wonders with the dutch oven and recommended the recipe. In fact, she is the woman you want to go camping with because you'll eat bigger and better out of her dutch oven in the woods than you ever will at home. By the way, one trick... we didn't have a regular dutch oven with legs (ours is for the oven) so we cut out both ends of a tuna can and set the pan on top of it so we could slide the coals underneath. It worked perfect.



Anyway, if you know me, you would be in shock right now that I signed up to bring the bread. I have never successfully baked bread,(or baked much of anything) let alone baked it in the dutch oven. So for anyone who has the same disability as I do, you need this recipe! It turned out great. And Todd's honey butter helped a bit too. Actually, I can't take total responsibility for the bread. I did make Todd proof the yeast and check my work:). But the fact that I was involved and it still turned out is a huge success:)




And we can thank the bay area for being cold enough in July to eat a hot meal on a sunny day while wearing two or three layers of jackets. Gotta love this place:)

3 comments:

Dorese @ Dorese's Pieces said...

YUM! Thanks for sharing! And what is it with us girls who have to have our husbands proof the yeast? You should totally post the recipe; that sounds so yummy! :D

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I'm impressed. I've never done dutch oven cooking. Looks delicious.

Michael Larsen said...

Hey Coleen, let me know any time you want to bust out the Lodge's; it's a scouting tradition that you learn to deal with these things at a young age. I have an Enchilada Pie recipe that totally rocks, and Chris D. is the ultimate master of the Philmont Ranger Cobbler :).