Adventures in Idaho I
I spent 2.5 weeks at home with my family in Lewiston, Idaho during May and had the hardest time coming back to San Francisco. It took me a 9 years of being away from home to really appreciate the beauty of the valley I grew up in. The weather truly is amazing... the sun rises bright at 6am and at that point it is warm enough to play outside in shorts and t-shirts. Which Jake and I did several times since he wakes up at the crack of dawn and we didn't want to bother others who were still sleeping. There is always a great view of a river, mountain or canyon and there is a bright, breathtaking sunset every night. Oh, and the nights are so warm. I loved sitting around the pond in my dad's backyard just "gabbing" until the sun went down, watching the sprinklers water the big garden and small orchard... and laughing at Jake as he ran through them without coaxing or hesitation. Not to mention the housing prices are really affordable. Plus they have miles of paved trails along the rivers on both sides. I've always missed my family, but now I can truly say that I miss home.
Getting packed for our trip. I wish it were this easy to take a baby on a plane... but Jake actually did ok, considering the long two flights and one layover. I came out of the bedroom with some clothes to pack and found that Jake had crawled into the suitcase to play with his toys that I already packed for the trip.
My family is a Pickelball family. If you don't know what it is... you're really missing out. Jake loved running on the courts and chasing the balls. My grandma Jessie (pictured below) is a pickleball gold medalist in the Senior Olympics. She plays against competitors 10 or 20 years younger than her. As you can tell, we're proud of gma!
Jake with his great grandparents Brownie and Jessie (my dad's parents). They were so sweet to come to the airport with us and wait. Lewiston's airport is pretty small, so once you check in, you just wait in the lobby until just before your flight to go through security. There is only one gate and one or two planes there at one time. We make fun of the small town airport, but secretly I love this airport b/c there is never a long line, crowds or a rush. I could walk there from my parents house. So, I guess this is me finally admitting that there is something good about a small town.
My little brother Erick (single, ladies!) with me and Jake. I don't usually get to spend a lot of time with Erick while I am in town, so I LOVED all the QT we had during this trip. He is such a cool, layed back guy. Its fun just sitting on the couch watching old Al Pacino movies & talking about funny family stories.
Big brother Ben
3 comments:
I am LOVING all of these blog updates. It's like I'm connected again. Your trip home sounds serene! I want the full scoop. You look so good, like always, and i'm liking the hair length too.
2.5 weeks? That is just dreamy. If only!
Wow, I never gave Idaho much thought, but you really described it nicely I wish we had warm mornings and pretty sun sets like that! Sounds like a nice time with your family...
Your description of Potlatch Valley almost sounds like you are planning a move home... ;) I know what you mean though about having to move away and really BE away to finally appreciate it all. Your post made me nostalgic and want to go visit now, too.
Post a Comment